Miscanthus is an annually harvested crop grown around the UK for the supply of bio-fuel to energy supply sectors and is a truly natural and sustainable crop that is environmentally friendly. Miscanthus bedding (Elephant Grass) grows very tall up to 15ft, and when processed is an extremely warm and fibrous bedding that is more absorbent than any other straw based product or shavings. It can be used the same way as any other bedding either deep litter or a shallow covering on rubber mats, all depending on the preferences of the owners. Because of its high absorbency it lasts longer than other beddings therefore making it a very economical bedding.
- 100% Pure Miscanthus
- Chopped and dust extracted
- Ideal for wet and messy horses
- Baled between 9% and 12% moisture
- 100% Organic as no fertilisers or chemicals are used on the crop
- Carbon Neutral
- Natural sustainable crop
- Ultra Absorbent (3 x more its own weight)
- Lasts longer than any other straw based bedding or shavings
- Labour saving
- Economical and cost effective
- Easy disposal and rots quickly
- Forms a good dense bed
- Highly compressed, non clumping 20kg bags
- Ready to use, no preparation needed
How to use Cavianthus Miscanthus/Elephant Grass horse bedding
Cavianthus is a great alternative, sustainable and natural product for horses that have very wet bedding. You’ll find it lasts much longer than any other horse bedding products that claim to be highly absorbent but you treat it much the same way as you would wood shavings. Simply remove soiled bedding and return the bed to the floor as and when required.
Two bales, or if you prefer a very deep bed three, are enough for a totally new bed, with occasional topping up as you see fit.
Just like our other products, Cavianthus rots very quickly, so you’ll see a difference in the size of your muck heap and the size of your wallet too.